October 4, 2013

5 on Friday!

Here are the top 5 reasons why I am loving Emily this week!

1)  She continues to be enthusiastic about her new defense positions on her soccer team.  After complaining about having to wear Mason's "sweaty" goalie gloves, we purchased her own pair which she has been wearing non-stop since Saturday.  Good thing I didn't leave it up to Rob and Emily to pick out a pair or we would have invested in a $40 pair rather than a $15 pair.  After about two seconds of looking on the shelves at Dick's, I was able to find a less expensive pair that she actually liked more than the expensive ones AND supposedly, they both had REALLY looked for a size 4 pair!

2)  The past weekend was really beautiful...perfect fall weather!  After team pictures on Sunday, Emily and I made our second trip of the weekend to TCBY (I know, I'm fearful "fro yo" could be the gateway treat to eating whole cakes or something equally as terrible) and then headed over to the playground in downtown Fort Mill.  While we were there, we ran into two friends (one from KRK and the other from her class) and they had a great time, running around and playing!  It's always nice to see her interact with other children!



3)  Continuing with community and map work this week at school, I asked one of the GIS Technicians at work to put together a community map for Emily to share with her class.  You cannot see the detail but several landmarks around Fort Mill are labeled including PKES, Waterstone (our neighborhood), City Hall, the Police and Fire Stations, Springs Greenway, Lake Wylie, etc.  She was so excited to carry the big map to school and liked it so much that we had to print one for home too!


4)  Emily and Rob have been “training” every night this week!  Goalie drills for about an hour every night.  It doesn’t look like too much fun to me but I guess they are enjoying themselves.  Rob is definitely getting more into it than Emily and I combined.  He has volunteered to serve as the Assistant Coach again and even lined up a training session with a former Winthrop soccer player who happens to be a good friend.  Hopefully all of this hard work will pay off!

5)  Homework was kicked up another notch again this week and we have twice as much due to Em’s participation in her reading program but all in all, I think she is enjoying it.  I can definitely see that math is coming much easier to her than the reading and writing assignments; although, there has been a definite improvement in her reading skills and one homework assignment was to write the spelling words in her best handwriting and she knocked it out of the park!  I’m proud of her hard work!

Bonus - she has relocated to the "computer room."  She likes the little bed and there is something sweet about seeing her sleep in the same bed that I slept in as a child.  The other plus is that I am not sharing my bed with her!

No comments: