1) She had her first game of the soccer season this past Saturday and she played goalie for one quarter. She did a good job and was really excited to play a new position.
2) She has been interested in taking some cooking classes at a school for kids that is opening near our house. I figured I could go ahead and teach her some things at home so on Sunday, she and I worked on preparing her first lasagna. The only thing I did was help her measure ingredients and brown the ground beef and sausage for the sauce. She did everything else and it turned out terrific. Here is a shot of her finished product.
3) We had our 7th encounter with the tooth fairy on Saturday and it was quite eventful! It started last Thursday morning, Emily's top second tooth on the left was loose (and has been for quite a while). She promised Rob that she would allow him to remove it that afternoon prior to soccer practice. No dice, so he attempted to remove it once they got home...major drama! After all three of us getting more upset than anyone ever should over a tooth, we dropped it - until Saturday! Emily had gone to spend the night with Grandma and Papa, Rob went to hang out with Ashley and I had settled into a comfy spot on the chair, iPad in hand watching season 2 of "New Girl." The phone rang and it was Howard saying that Emily was upset because her tooth was loose and she needed her Daddy to come take care of it. So I called Rob, he called Emily and then he went over to Mom and Howard's house to deal with the tooth. Well, I was quite surprised when they both came strolling into the house a little while later with the tooth still attached to her mouth. And so began a repeat of Thursday evening...tears, carrying on and absolute refusal to remove the tooth until I saw Emily flee to the couch thinking that she had won and Rob walked over to me with the tooth in his palm. She had absolutely no idea the tooth was out while she laid on the couch saying "No Daddy!" over and over again. Finally, Rob walked over to her and showed her the tooth much to her surprise. After all of that, she said "That didn't hurt a bit!" I would like to think she may remember this when tooth #8 becomes loose but I think that is highly doubtful and that we will have a repeat of this scenario on each and every tooth to come! Lucky us!!
4) There is a “committee” at her after-school with student
representatives that helps make decisions affecting the program…which toys/DVDs
to purchase, party planning – you know the super important stuff for elementary
school students. Well, Emily decided
that she would like to be on the committee so on Monday evening, she provided
five excellent reasons why she should be considered for membership and I wrote
them for her and she signed it. The
submissions are due on Friday and I guess she’ll hear back sometime next week –
I can’t imagine it would be a major selection process. I hope she is selected because she is still
talking about the last time she submitted something (Doodle4Google - http://theandersfamily-sc.blogspot.com/2013/02/doodle-4-google.html) and never
heard back!
5) A big emphasis at school continues to be on community (http://theandersfamily-sc.blogspot.com/2013/09/5-on-friday_20.html) – being a
member of the community, learning about people in the community, etc. Last week they took a walking tour of Fort
Mill and went to the police station, the fire station and the mayor’s
office. This week, her class has been
working on a community map project and she was so inspired she wanted to create
one of her own. She completed all of this by herself with the exception of taping the four poster boards together and a little bit of help on the "Map Key." Here she is proudly
showing off her work!


No comments:
Post a Comment