Our flag had fallen down the flagpole so I walked around to the front of the house to fix it. While I was standing there, a bird came charging toward me from the front door. Needless to say, I started screaming because it startled me and was completed unexpected. Emily came running around because my carrying on scared her. I took a look at the wreath on our front door since that is where the bird had been and it looked a little funny so I took it off of its hook and couldn't believe my eyes. There was a nest with five eggs in it!
I tried to show Emily thinking that she would be excited since we missed the eggs in the birdhouse but instead she started crying and kept saying "I want to go inside!" It was another one of those times when she surprised me because she was not her usual fearless self. So we went inside and I sent Rob a message to figure out what I should do about it. His reply was that we were not going to do anything about it and leave it alone. It's things like this that remind me that he spent the majority of his childhood on a farm and truly is an animal/nature lover at heart. And it's also times like this that his goodness rubs off on me because my gut told me to take the nest off of the wreath and "pretend" like it fell. Shhh....don't tell anyone...Rob and I really are good people. We like to keep it a secret!
When Rob got home, he took a look at it and tried to explain to Emily that the birds were not going to come into our house. We will use the garage door until the eggs have hatched and the birds are big enough to leave the nest. GREAT! She was not buying it and wants nothing to do with the eggs, the nest or our house. All I could think about was when I was a little girl and we had a crazy kitten named Kitzer and I was scared to death of it and hid out in my bedroom for weeks to avoid it being anywhere near me. These birds are Emily's Kitzer!
Not only do we have these birds to deal with, we still have the little ones in the birdhouse and our yard is being overtaken by our little bunny friends again this spring.


No comments:
Post a Comment