March 20, 2013

The Calm During the Storm

As fearless as Emily is, there are a few things that totally freak her out...mainly bugs, dogs and thunderstorms.  On Monday evening, we had some really strange weather.  It had been super nice on Sunday, got pretty cold on Monday and then by the time we got home, the thunder started followed by some lightning.  She has been learning about weather at school and while I would like to think that would put her at ease, it doesn't seem to be the case.

I went outside to switch out our St. Patrick's Day decorations with some for Easter and she was telling me that I didn't need to "go out into the weather", then she was worried about her Daddy who was working a little late that evening.

Every time she heard a boom of thunder, she would jump and just seemed really uneasy the entire night.  The power flickering out a couple of times did nothing to put her at ease.

Finally, when Rob got home, she snuggled up with him on the couch.  As I stood in the kitchen cleaning up, I could overhear the two of them talking about thunderstorms and determining how far away they were by counting between thunder and lightning.  Her whole demeanor changed and then I had a thought...one of the best decisions I ever made was marrying a man who ended up being a good Daddy.  Often, he is tired or grumpy but when push comes to shove, he has a much better way of comforting her than I do.

We each bring our plusses and minuses to parenting but all in all, I think Emily has two pretty great parents and I KNOW we have a pretty great kid!

No comments: