March 6, 2014

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

It’s Dr. Seuss week at school so this seemed like an appropriate blog post title…not only appropriate but very true.

I’ve touched on this a few times throughout the course of this school year but Emily has needed a little extra help when it comes to her reading skills.  Prior to the events that have transpired over the past week, I had an appointment scheduled with the reading specialist at Emily’s school.  One of my fears is that if we can’t get her the proper reading foundation, school will become more and more challenging over the years and she will grow to dislike it and her frustration level will be at an all time high.

She is a very bright and creative girl.  She does well with math, loves to explore her artistic side and excels at athletics.  She has a more difficult time with reading and writing assignments.  She has to really work to be on grade level.  It’s heartbreaking at times because I don’t want her to struggle with anything.  As her mom, I want everything to be happy and lovely and wonderful.  As an adult, I know better.  I know that everyone struggles with things at times. I know that anything worth having is worth putting forth the effort.  I know that hard work and determination will get you just about anywhere you want to go in life.  But none of the things I know make it any easier to see her having a hard time.  I struggle with her struggle because I just can’t relate.  I absolutely LOVED reading as a kid (and still do when I make the time) and I pursued a career path where I do A LOT of writing and I enjoy it.

Back to the point, this morning I met with her reading teacher and her primary teacher to discuss progress to date and what we need to work on  moving forward.  We have our work cut out for us but neither teacher felt that she would have long-term issues.  It’s just taking a little longer for it to click.  So it is time for me to kick it into gear and show a good example by putting in even more time to make sure she “gets” it. 

Unfortunately, her self-confidence is a little shaky these days and I don’t want to put any additional pressure on her.  I’m hoping by developing a home reading challenge, she will see that she can do it and it will build her confidence academically and in turn, help her socially.


Wish us luck!

No comments: