December 12, 2014

5 on Friday!

Our week in five!

1)  On Saturday, Em's brownies troop went caroling at Westminster Towers, a retirement community in Rock Hill.  Our friend, Amy, works there so she was able to help us coordinate our visit.  The girls did a great job and the ladies and gentlemen that we met were so happy to have some visitors spreading holiday cheer!  I'm not 100% certain why I have always been so apprehensive of nursing homes...I can remember going to visit my great Grandmother once or twice when I was little and something must have frightened me about going there.  In college, we adopted a Grandma though my sorority and it was always difficult for me to go visit her...just made me uncomfortable.  I don't like going to visit my own Grandma in her nursing home but that is just because it is too sad and heartbreaking.  I have a way of avoiding things that make me uneasy and often convince myself that "I just don't like" those things.  Well, I think I can safely say that I have overcome my fear of elderly people (I know, fear sounds so dramatic).  It made me happy to see all of their smiling faces and knowing how much I love my own Grandma, I am pretty sure that all of those ladies were more than likely also someone else's beloved Grandmothers and it felt good.  It really does feel good to do good things and I know I say it often but "to give much is to receive much" is one of the truest statements.




2)  Emily's creativity is a recurring theme from week to week but I am honestly amazed at how her little brain works.  Her class has been learning about Native Americans and she surprised me by creating this little teepee out of some arrows from her bow and arrow set, a paper napkin, some wood chips (to build a real fire) and a couple of toys!  I wish she would have set it up somewhere other than the hood of her Daddy's car but the suction cup ends of the arrows stuck well so she went with it!



3)  She drew this adorable little picture of Rudolph!


4)  Poor kiddo cannot kick the strep throat which has been plaguing her for what feels like the entire year but this bout started on the day before Thanksgiving.  She spent the day with Daddy at work on Monday and went to work with me on Tuesday.  Back to school on Wednesday!  Hopefully after this round of antibiotics, she'll be healthy!  Knowing how difficult it has been on our family dealing with something really as minor as strep made me think about all of the children who have serious illnesses and how challenging and emotionally difficult it must be for those families.  So on that note, I made a donation to St. Jude's in Emily's honor and hope that our little contribution may help those families in some way.

5)  We continue to struggle with "new math" and I continue to feel like a fool on almost a nightly basis because second grade math is extremely difficult!  If I were in school today, I may not even to make to college!  

No comments: