As we get ready to celebrate New Year's Eve tomorrow and start a new decade on Friday, I started thinking about all of the major events that have occured in my life during the past decade. I, like so many of my friends, have experienced so many life changing things over the past ten years, I figured I would take the opportunity to reflect.
On March 13, 2000, Rob and I were engaged. He proposed to me in Charlotte (in front of what would become my office in two years time but I would have never known it then). I graduated from Winthrop in May of 2000 becoming the second person in my family to do so. Since then, my cousin Melissa has graduated from college and her sister, Ashley, will in May of 2010. After graduation, I accepted a position with Shaw, McLeod, Belser and Hurlbutt in August 2000. Rob and I moved to Sumter, SC for almost two years until I transferred to our new office in Charlotte (the proposal site). Beginning in November 2000, we began planning our wedding which was all-consuming for the better part of a year. Thank goodness for my mom putting in so many long hours to make sure our wedding was a success!
In 2001, I attended more weddings than I ever imagined, including my own. It seemed like every weekend someone from college got married, including my best friend, Eve. It was so nice that she and I were planning our weddings at the same time. Our wedding on October 13, 2001,was absolutely wonderful and I know that if almost nine years later I wouldn't change a thing, then we must have done everything right. I still love my dress, the location, the flowers, the cake, and of course, my husband.
Over the course of our marriage, Rob and I have definitely had our ups and downs. Most of them have been related to him finding the perfect job and I think he may have finally found true success! We have known each other for a long time and sometimes we don't see eye-to-eye but I wouldn' t trade him for the world and I hope we are together on this journey for the rest of our lives.
In 2002, Rob and I moved to Charlotte and just enjoyed our time being young and married. We rented an appartment and had very little responsibility.
In 2003, we, along with a lot of people, decided it was time to purchase our first home. After much looking, we bought a house in Fort Mill. We're in the same house today and we could definitely use some more room but I really love where we live. I like being only fifteen minutes from my office and really close to shopping, restaurants and Emily's school.
From August 2003 until February 2006, Rob and I just spent the majority of our time with friends and way too many $ and hours at McHale's! In February, we found out that we were expecting our first child. What a shock! We hadn't planned on having a baby but it turned out to be the best blessing in the entire world!
So I spent most of 2006 being pregnant and sleeping A LOT! Some things have not changed since then...well, the pregnant part has, but the going to bed early and getting up early part has not. Emily was born on Friday, October 13, 2006, which coincidentally was our five-year wedding anniversary! What a treat!
I have never been more in love with anything or anyone than I am with my little Emily Carson Anders. She brings so much joy to my life and I cannot imagine not having her with us. From the day she was born, Rob and I went from being a couple to being a family, which is a great thing!
Right now, Rob is working really long hours trying to get his business off the ground and Emily and I get to spend a lot of time together. It reminds me of when I was a little girl and my dad would work at night and my mom and I would spend the evenings together. I can only hope when Emily grows up that she has a much love and respect for me as I have for my mom.
Having Emily has made me realize that I do not need to stress over every little detail; although, I am still pretty uptight the majority of the time. As of age 3, she and I are not very much alike. Her current interests consist of tools, bikes, and sports! She does like to wear pretty dresses and go shopping at Target so I guess we have that in common. She is really great kid and I'm so thankful that I get to be her mommy!
Although, the past ten years have been really great overall, our family has experienced some difficult times as well. We have watched friends and family experience illnesses and suffer the loss of loved ones. We watched Al Gore get robbed of the presidency in 2000 and we had to suffer the next eight years with "W- The Weasel! Things have been tough! All joking aside, we have gone through a lot over the past ten years and I wouldn't change one second because every event is part of who I am today.
Happy New Year and here's to the next ten years, may they be as eventful as the last ten have been!
No comments:
Post a Comment